06 May 2010

My favorite Girl Singers (Non-Classical) part 1

I LOVE female singers. Don't know why, but there's something about the female voice that just gets to me, so I thought, with the help of YouTube, I would share some of my favorite all time singers.

These are in no particular order. I honestly don't think I could order them. Their styles are so diverse and their voices are so unique that it would be like comparing apples to oranges to tomatoes.

So here goes.

#1 Jody Miller.
Jody Miller began singing in the 1960's. Her 1st label, Capitol Records, couldn't quite decided what to do with her. They tried folk and pop. They even had her record in Italian. Finally she fell into a country groove and that is where she stayed. It would be in the 70's when she was recording for Epic under producer Billy Sherrill that she had her biggest hits. I think her voice is just beautiful and I think that she is such an attractive woman, even today in her late 60's.





#2 Mina
Mina is a legend in Italy. She has been topping the charts since the late 50's and continues to do so even today.



#3 Cilla Black.
I can't explain it - but I love her. Her voice was unique. She was one of the best belters of the 60's. She later became a major television personality in the UK.



#4 Lulu
This tiny Scots lass started racing up the charts at the tender age of 14. She's still very active in the recording studio.



#5 Billie Ray Martin
Her voice has a power and a smoothness to it that I love.



#6 Patty Pravo
She's completely unique and that is what I love about her. I also think this particular song is very sexy.



#7 Peggy March.
Remember "I Will Follow Him"? Even if you don't you've probably heard it. Peggy March didn't have a lot of chart success here in her home country but in Germany she is a superstar. This song, even though it's in English, was never released in the US



#8 Sophie Ellis Bextor
While she doesn't have the power and range of some of the other singers here, she does have a style and a class all her own. Not to mention she's gorgeous.



#9 Gale Garnett
What can I say - I am sucker for gorgeous women with deep voices



#10 Vicky Leandros
Greek born Vicky Leandros is well known all over Europe and has recorded in several languages. She's been active since the early 1960's. This one is from the 70's.




More to come soon

No comments:

Post a Comment